Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Numbers

I've gotten by for a long time with a very minimum understanding of math. It's sad really. I learned math in school...well, i was 'educated' in basic math; but i never fully comprehended it. Also, i have a fairly good intuitive sense of what an answer might be and so i squeezed by, learning just enough to do well on tests. When, though, in everyday life would i use the quadratic equation? I have a sense that math is a sort of secret language and the only words i know are "hello, how are you?"; "Where is the bathroom?" Anyone who's ever studied a language knows that those phrases are great until the person you're talking to responds.

Starting today..well, yesterday really, I am committed to learning math. Starting at the very beginning. Numbers. As part of this personal project, im going to attempt to visualize the explanation of mathematics and concepts that i never could really "see".

Let's see how long this lasts for.

I have, in my possession a math review textbook (algebra, geometry, and trig), a binder filled with graph paper, a calculator, a pen and pencil. I'm ready. I think im ready.

more to come

1 comment:

boxgirl said...

i think math is like the equivalent to possessing the harry potter invisible cape.